Egypt national team coach Hector Cuper has praised Ugandan goalkeeper Denis Onyango after the Pharaohs’ 1-0 win on Tuesday.
Cuper said the Cranes played a good game and handed the Mamelodi Sundowns keeper the man of the match award.
On the other hand, Cuper defended his choices in team selection and praised the fans after beating the East Africans in the 2018 World Cup qualifiers at home.
Following the victory, the Pharaohs went to the top of Group E again with nine points, two ahead of second-placed Uganda.
The 61-year-old coach also praised the Egyptian fans, estimated at 60,000, who rallied behind the team at Borg El-Arab Stadium.
“Uganda keeper played an excellent game. He’s the Man of the Match and denied us several times,” Cuper said of Onyango.
“I acknowledge the big role of the fans today. They supported us when we started to feel tired.
“We can’t make five or six changes to the starting line up, this might lead to unexpected results. We did what what we thought was right.
“I’ve been working with these players for two and a half years. We chose a certain strategy, which might not be accepted by many people.”
Nigeria players to receive € 2 million qualifying bonus for World Cup
Nigeria’s players will receive a € 2 million bonus from their Federation after qualifying for the 2018 World Cup.
The selection of Nigeria will participate in the World Cup 2018. (The Team)
Qualified for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, Nigerian internationals will receive a qualifying bonus, as reported on Wednesday by the spokesman of the Federation (NFF). « The NFF has agreed with the team to pay him 2.4 million dollars (2 million euros) of the 8 that she expects from Fifa, » revealed Ademola Olajire, the Director of Communications of the Federation.
Last week, the NFF had already announced that an agreement had been reached on match bonuses in Russia, to avoid the hiccups of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil that forced the then Sports Minister to to travel to South America on a private jet, with nearly four million dollars (3.39 million euros) in cash. The terms of the new agreement had not been disclosed.
Yakubu Aiyegbeni ends his career at 35
Author of 95 goals in the Premier League, the Nigerian striker permanently hangs the crampons. He had no club since last April.
He was in his way one of the leading players of the 2000s in the Premier League. Passed by Porsmouth, Middlesbrough or Everton, Yakubu Aiyegbeni had a successful career in England. The numbers speak for him: 252 appearances for 95 goals, more than one goal every three games. Now, that era is over and the Nigerian is turning to another career: he announced that he was ending his professional career.
57 selections with the Super Eagles
The course of Yakubu is also summarized with his country and the selection. He has finished three times on the podium of the African Cup of Nations (2002, 2004 and 2010) but also played a final phase of World Cup: it was in 2010 in South Africa. To his credit: he played 57 international games and scored 21 goals. He started in selection at a very young age, at the age of 17.
Moreover, this striker with the imposing physique also traveled a lot: he had started to make a name for Israel and Maccabi Haifa, before joining England. He has also played in Qatar, China and Turkey.
Chelsea: Victor Moses swears fidelity to the club!
Having found his marks and managed to secure a place in the first team of Chelsea, Victor Moses believes that it belongs to Stamford Bridge. The Nigerian has promised to be loyal to the London club in an interview with Goal.
After three successive loan seasons, the arrival of Antonio Conte opened the door to Victor Moses. The Nigerian international got his chance from the Italian technician and used it very well. Moses took full advantage of the golden opportunity and was one of the star players of the club in winning the English Premier League title last season. The Blues have rewarded the performance of the 26-year-old by extending his contract.
In an infernal form of his life, nominated in the 5 players vying for the title of the African Player of the Year 2017, Victor Moses plans to go all the way with the defending British champion.
« That [the contract] gave me even more momentum to go far and enjoy my football, » Moses told Goal.
« The news has given me a lot more confidence. That’s where I belong, that’s where I want to play, that’s where I want to help my team and win trophies. Chelsea is one of the biggest football clubs in the world. I am happy here and I enjoy it. I have always believed in myself. As a footballer, it is essential to have this conviction, « he concluded.
As a reminder, Victor Moses wounded and removed from the lawn for 5 weeks should make his return this weekend against Liverpool.
Africa22 heures ago
Nigeria: Vincent Enyeama rejects the Super Eagles!
Soccer21 heures ago
5 Footballers that have stolen other players’ girlfriend/wife
Soccer18 heures ago
6 Footballers that have stolen other players’ girlfriend/wife
Soccer10 heures ago
UEFA could kick AC Milan out of Europe
Liga BBVA4 heures ago
Ronaldinho gives permission to Messi to leave Barça!
Soccer8 heures ago
‘Morata Real’s elephant in the room’
Soccer13 heures ago
The 11 strikers with the best goals-to-game ratios in the Champions League
Africa3 heures ago
Yakubu Aiyegbeni ends his career at 35